Thursday, June 6, 2013

#5 Thunder Force II



Ok Not even joking? Probably the most bad ass cover art so far. 

 Confused about whats going on? Let me clear it up for you - You're Boned.

For many retro gamers, the "shooter" genre is their bread and butter. I've always found this a bit odd. Mostly because it suggest they had been playing these sort of games for a long time. As a kid I had around 50 genesis titles - and not one of them was a shooter. I think I was vaguely aware that such games existed, but how I am not certain. Even my Genesis playing friends and family did not seem to own any such games. I think I did play one on the NES once, maybe, but it's the most faint and distant of memories now. I didn't come into the genre at all until the retro craze hit. At first I loved these kinds of games...Now I am no longer sure what I think - especially of these Genesis installments. MY  bread and butter was side scrolling action games and beat-em-ups, which may be why despite the lackluster opinion many people have of it, I rated Altered Beast so high.

But I will soon have a more clear opinion of genesis shooters as there are going to be a boat load of them. The first is this launch title - Thunder Force II. I can't tell you this is my favorite shooter, but then again it isn't quite ordinary by shooter standards.

The first Thunder Force is rather obscure and appeared on platforms like the Sharp-X1.....Yeah don't feel dumb I've never even seen one.
Until now!

It was a shooter from an overhead perspective that, unlike most games in the genre, allowed for scrolling in any direction. This sequel follows a similar routine - half the time. Every odd level is an overhead level where your mission is to destroy a series of ground targets scattered about the very large map. The even levels are more standard shooter fair from a horizontal perspective in the vein of Gradius and R-type. This is kind of an odd but interesting evolution of the series. Thunder Force II feels kind of like a half man half ape missing link, as later installments would drop the overhead levels entirely and focus only on the horizontal side scrolling shooter style of game play.

Perhaps this is with good reason. The overhead levels in my opinion are a major pain in the ass! I really wanted to like them. I like overhead other stuff, and they look pretty. They definitely show off the infamous parallax scrolling of the Genesis well. But the way you move....Its hard to describe without you trying it. Understand it is still a shooter. And like all shooters you are always moving. But unlike most shooters in this one's overhead levels you can move in any direction. That means break neck awkward 180 degree flip arounds that are too jerky to be enjoyable. Enemies come at you from nonsensical directions and half your weapons will be useless against ground targets. Add to this the fact that the maps for these levels are, I'll admit impressively, very large, and you're in for a frustrating experience as you run around aimlessly looking for your target with nothing to indicate correct direction of travel except for very good muscle memory. 
 
Even after locating them, the ground base targets required to complete overhead levels aren't going down without a fight.


The side scrolling levels would fair a bit better. But only a bit. The first one was actually a blast and I really enjoyed it. Later on though, the deaths seemed cheap and the difficulty curve a bit ridiculous. Understand though I am not a bullet hell savior. The most appealing thing about this genre to me is the huge community that has built up around this one style of game-play. The internet is full of forums and YouTube videos of deathless play throughs on insanely difficult settings for even the most obscure shooter titles. It's all very impressive! I'm just not even close to that skilled .
   
 There is something to be said for tradition. Although there are some cheap deaths the sidescrolling fare was much more enjoyable. Note selectable weapon options on the top HUD.

Truth be told this is probably the most technically competent game I've played so far for this blog. It just isn't quite my thing. That isn't to say I'm passing judgement on all shooters. This one is so unique in some ways that its hard to compare it with others. The weapon switching may appeal to many shooter fans. I think a major problem I have with shooters in general though is that so many of them are focused on that very community I mentioned that they are designed so that if you don't have a perfect run you might as well not play. Dying eliminates all your weapon upgrades and as the game progresses you very quickly find survival may even be impossible with a standard shot alone.

 The overhead maps are enormous! Its impressive on such an early title, but frustrating when you get lost.
  
Please don't think I'm  a pansy ass whose favorite Genesis game will turn out to be Barney's Hide and Seek Adventure. I told you my bread and butter is side scrolling action - just wait till we get to games like Chakan or Comix Zone and I'll make you eat those words, but I would prefer it if these kind of games gave me one or both of two options:

1. Quit taking away my power ups at death. At least not until I have hit continue. For the hardcore gamer you can make this a toggle switch option, but I'm not a shmup god, I would prefer to finish the game with an average level of challenge. If I must be a shmup god though -

2. Cut out extra lives and continues entirely. I know. One extreme to the other. I actually went into the options menu for Thunder Force II with exactly this in mind but it could not be arranged.

Why? Because in this kind of game extra lives are completely pointless. After the first couple of levels I can't survive without my power ups no matter how hard I practice. The only chance I have at completion is a perfect game. So don't make me waste my time or burn out my reset button. If I die once, just start the game over for me with as little loading time as possible. No extra lives. No continues. No going back to the title screen, just back to the beginning of level 1. "Initiating...ladder...good luck." (or whatever he says at the level start screen. That's what it sounds like to me.)

Ultimately this is a technically impressive game and may even be the best of the launch titles. Had I bought my Genesis on launch day out of the option available here in north America this would have been the best option to companion with the Altered Beast pack in. There are still a couple of launch titles left to review but I think most of you will agree with this sentiment when you try them. It just isn't going to make it into my favorite games list any time soon. It caters to much to the hardcore shooter fanatic - something that if I have any potential to become I haven't reached that point yet and this game isn't going to get me there. But if that describes you well than I definitely suggest giving Thunder Force II a run.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent choice for a blog, and for games as well. I loved Last Battle back then, and am currently trying to improve my high score in Thunder Force II.
    You just got a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Guess that means I better start updating lol

    ReplyDelete